Friday, June 11, 2010

Little Estero Lagoon North And South

Wildlife activity at Little Estero Lagoon was so interesting to me last week that I was compelled to return.

The Tricolored Heron above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

These treks have been relatively unusual for me as I haven't made a diligent effort before now to see what might be happening at the critical wildlife area in the summer months.

Although I again observed the Least Tern in flight almost immediately having a very limited view of the beach, I chose to stay in the north lagoon itself adjacent to the Holiday Inn earlier in the week.

The wildlife photographer above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

My observations were therefore limited as to what might be happening at the shore line.

After my sighting of the terns in flight on the horizon, I had the opportunity to observe for a few moments the Tricolored Heron which can be counted on as a regular at the lagoon.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

I then focused my attention on a solitary Black Skimmer that made a few passes through the north lagoon.

It was a thrill to see the skimmer as I don't recall seeing it at this venue before while it was somewhat disappointing not to see it capture any fish which relentlessly pecked at me.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

The skimmer has otherwise been observed during virtually every visit I've made to Bunche Beach Preserve at any time of year, typically to the west from the parking area.

At the lagoon, a Willet flew in to stretch its wings as a Great Blue Heron walked by.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

I didn't see the white morph Great Blue Heron as I had a few days earlier although I wasn't in the exact same area it might have been again.

A pair of wading birds observed and often seen together when the Roseate Spoonbill is present included it and the Snowy Egret.

The Willet above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

My observations have me believe that the Snowy Egret is attracted to the foraging activity of the spoonbill which makes the egret's hunting for prey more successful.

A Reddish Egret shortly thereafter made its entrance to the lagoon and offered a great show in its feeding behavior through its magnificent dance.

The Great Blue Heron above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

Regrettably the light had waned to the point where my final shots were taken at 1/10th of a second which did not lend very well to an appealing image of it in action.

I need to remember to bring the flash under all circumstances which would certainly be useful in improving my photography.

The Roseate Spoonbill above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

My second visit to Little Estero Lagoon this week had me favor a walk south from the Holiday Inn between the finger lagoon and Gulf of Mexico leading me nearly to Big Carlos Pass which separates Little Estero Island and Lovers Key State Park.

It was on this route that I spent much time observing while continuing my effort through photography to capture the feeding behavior of the Least Tern.

The Least Tern above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

The birds flew from their nesting area at me in waves of a half dozen or fewer and often flew out of sight to the north into the blinding sun on the horizon unless they captured a fish in front of me and immediately headed back to their mates and young.

A successful catch for the Least Tern after its hover and dive behavior I would place at one in three for an individual bird observed.

The Least Tern above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

Fisherman casting their bait along the beach were apparently only having luck with catfish at the time.

There were of course White Ibis with a pair of juveniles observed feeding in the surf.

The Least Tern above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

There was an exciting overflight of a Great Blue Heron which glided gracefully to the north.

At the Least Tern nesting area, the birds somewhat ignored me as the sun was about to set.

The Great Blue Heron above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

It was my hope to photograph the Least Tern juveniles in the last remaining sunlight of the day.

A couple of the juveniles observed took flight which indicates they are a few weeks old or more and upwards of eight weeks from inception.

The Least Tern juvenile above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

As I was looking through the viewfinder of the camera studying a juvenile, the Straightness of terns (as a group of terns is known), had a completely different atmosphere about it as the Least Tern's vocal calls changed dramatically.

I looked up to see dozens of the birds in flight over the nesting area while several were in close pursuit of a Black-crowned Night-Heron that was making a flyover from the south.

The Least Tern juvenile above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

The predatory heron left my view until I began the long walk back to the car.

A mere hundred yards up the beach, I observed that the Black-crowned Night-Heron had landed near a Great Blue Heron in the south lagoon as both species of heron were harassed by a persistent Least Tern.

The Black-crowned Night-Heron with Least Tern above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

Though neither heron took flight, they did significantly flinch at each close dive bombing by the tern.

A little further on my walk I observed a trio of Roseate Spoonbill in the very last remaining light of the day.

The Black-crowned Night-Heron above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

Well published writer and photographer Ken Platt, in The Island Sand Paper (online subscription recommended), advised me this week that some wildlife observers apparently got too close to the spoonbills at the north lagoon while photographing them as he had not observed the birds for several days.

The more secluded area of the lagoon further to the south offers some bird species more than others a level of tranquility.

The Least Tern juvenile above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

A very favorable low tide of -0.4 was observed at Little Estero Lagoon on 10 June 2010.

The Yellow-crowned Night-Heron has been elusive during my recent visits to Little Estero Lagoon last observed here in cooler weather.

The sunset above was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in June 2010.

Future returns to this very appealing wildlife venue are assured.

1 comment:

  1. As usual your photos are stunning!! That skimmer is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete