Friday, December 11, 2009

Bunche Beach Revisited II

With the confluence of a day off from work and what appeared to be a possibly great day for photography and birding, I made my way to a favored Gulf of Mexico venue known as Bunche Beach Preserve at San Carlos Bay in Fort Myers, Florida on Tuesday of this past week.

The Brown Pelican and Sandwich Tern above were photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

On the early morning drive to this stunning venue for such endeavors, the air was still and laden with a heavy fog. The temperature upon arriving at the preserve was 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

The sun had already been up for nearly an hour as I parked the car and began my preferred walk west from the parking area.

The Sandwich Tern above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

There was bird activity immediately observed as is not always the case at the preserve. It was a very good sign that the day would be special.

In addition to the wildlife, the fog was offering an opportunity for some interesting photographs where the horizon was muted.

The Sandwich Tern above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

The birding turned out to be more rewarding than I was anticipating although there were a few regulars of the preserve that I didn't see.

There was, however, my first sighting of the Merlin. This bird species is extraordinary in its flying skills. It reminded me of the Peregrine Falcon.

The Merlin above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

I caught first sight of the bird out of the corner of my eye as it made a very low overflight and scattered all of the shorebirds I was observing. I watched the Merlin nearly disappear out of sight in what appeared an instant. This is an extremely fast predator.

It was my great fortune to photograph it perched along the shoreline before I left the preserve. This had allowed me to hit the books and identify the species with certainty upon my return home.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

The Brown Pelican was without question the species in greatest numbers observed. It was very interesting to watch upwards of 50 of them as they followed schools of fish in the bay at a close range I had not experienced before.

It's needless to advise you, if you have been keeping up with my reports, that I was in the water. I was quite surprised at how cold the water felt since my last visit to the bay a few months earlier. It required some time to adjust to comfortably.

The Brown Pelican above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

Within an hour of entering the water, I was stunned by the presence of at least a pair of Bottlenose Dolphins passing by at a rage I would place at less than 60 feet. The depth of the water was very shallow at two feet. Certainly not a deterrence to them in what was likely a feeding frenzy as it was for the pelicans.

I found myself at that point looking around me in the very clear water for fish that may be swimming around me, but fortunately there were none.

The Bottlenose Dolphin above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

Discussing this experience with a few people after the fact, I got mixed opinions between avoiding and attracting the dolphins getting closer than that. I'm in the camp of keeping a greater distance.

Shortly after seeing the dolphins, the fog began to burn off and a breeze from the south picked up. I never made it past the west channel before the tide had made its inevitable return to higher ground.

The Bottlenose Dolphin above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

While I have often observed the Wood Stork overhead in the local area this past month, primarily closer to Interstate 75, my most exciting observation of it was as I was making a late afternoon trip to Bunche Beach Preserve the following day.

A stork was flying parallel to the highway approaching the preserve at my eye level along the rain water channel on the side of the road. And then, two Red-shouldered Hawks made a perpendicular flight across the highway very near the entrance to the preserve in what appeared to be courting behavior.

The Laughing Gull above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

Observing the bay at the preserve upon my arrival, the water level was evidently much higher at that point in the day as very little of the flats were exposed. It allowed for a large number of Black Skimmers to be very close to the shoreline not too far from the parking area.

Within the flock of skimmers, I also observed the Sandwich Tern, Forster's Tern, Laughing Gull, and a solitary 1st winter Ring-billed Gull which were concentrated very closely together.

The Black Skimmer with Marbled Godwit and Willet above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

I'm always captivated by the Ring-billed Gull in flight. It has a very distinctive appeal.

The lighting was exceptionally good with minimal clouds and the sun low to the horizon. There was also a favorable wind from the southeast or thereabouts allowing for some improved flight opportunities in the photography of the birds.

The Sandwich Tern above were photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

I was able to fire the shutter of the camera with abandon until a pair of fisherman and the rising water level had the birds again on the move to a much more distant range.

As a reminder, it's my recommendation that this venue normally be visited at the lowest tide possible.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

I'm beginning to see more photographers take advantage of this very special place. It's regrettable that they often do not have the patience required for birding.

There was evidence of snail's pace activity in the construction of the new facilities at Bunche Beach Preserve.

The Royal Tern above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2009.

I regret I won't have the time to time to look at all the images taken this week closely, but am including a few here and in more subject specific photo galleries before I make what is my next anticipated trip to observe and document the often overlooked beauty of our surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment