Saturday, May 15, 2010

War And Peace

I didn't see the Scarlet Ibis this past week within a couple of hours of viewing time available prior to meeting up with Dan and Lorraine at Lakes Regional Park in Fort Myers.

Dan and Lorraine above were photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

The White Ibis were in great numbers as expected with not as many other species making their way through that morning as in prior weeks.

My other opportunity for wildlife observation was late in the week when I debated which venue to visit.

Peter and Jane above were photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in May 2010.

Since I hadn't been to Bunche Beach Preserve in a long while, I made a journey there in hopes of seeing some wading bird action and shore birds.

Upon my arrival to the venue it was exciting to see that the enhancements to the preserve are apparently done (restrooms, boardwalk and boat ramp).

Stan visiting from Arizona above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in May 2010.

To the east I observed a photographer named Peter capturing images of a Great Blue Heron.

At the parking area I spoke with Jane, who I learned was Peter's mom and has been a member of the Caloosa Birding Club since the 1980's and quite engaging at the age of 91.

Stan and Norman above were photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in May 2010.

While Jane lives in Fort Myers, I learned Peter was visiting from Salem, New York.

Wildlife was very sparse aside from the GBH and a small flock of what I thought were Sanderlings that made a very brief stop directly in front of us that Jane thought were Western Sandpipers.

The White Ibis above was photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

I made my way west along the shore and decided to say hello to another photographer relaxing on a chair in the flats.

Stan told me he was visiting from Page, Arizona, and was going to spend the week in Florida.

The Mottled Duck above was photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

I recommended he attempt to photograph the Scarlet Ibis at Lakes Regional Park as well as Snail Kite at Harns Marsh Preserve.

It was interesting to hear that Stan had been a participant in a photo instructional tour with Jim Neiger who I know by name and seeing his images via the Bulletin of Artie Morris.

The Great Blue Heron above was photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

Stan allowed me to view images of the Burrowing Owl on his camera that he had captured near the Cape Coral Library earlier in the day.

As we spoke, another visitor of Bunche Beach stopped by to say hello.

The White Ibis above was photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

Norman, 82 and a local, was quite excited by Stan's photo gear.

He told us of his service in the Army with the 24th Infantry in 1947 and photographing primarily volcanic scenery during his tour overseas.

The Tricolored Heron above was photographed at Lakes Regional Park in May 2010.

He also noted that he didn't photograph the natives as he was more interested in getting to know them.

Observations at Bunche Beach also included an Osprey, White Ibis, and Black Skimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment