Friday, July 30, 2010

Feature: Black-necked Stilt

The Black-necked Stilt is a species of bird that should not be expected to be seen at any time unless you are somewhat certain to find it.

The Red-shouldered Hawk above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

Well, with that said, how might one expect to find a needle in a haystack?

In my case, I was informed of the elusive species' location by reading the wildlife blog of Tom Obrock.

The Red-shouldered Hawk above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

I've come to realize the benefit of a full understanding of the preferred habitat of the species you are looking for.

In addition, it helps to have a great familiarity with the area if you're going to find an elusive species on your own and then perhaps simply get extremely lucky.

The Glossy Ibis above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

Although I was never specifically making a diligent effort to find the Black-necked Stilt until this past week, I was disappointed that I had not observed it before.

The Black-necked Stilt is considered a shorebird and having spent countless hours at wildlife parks and preserves that constitute suitable habitat for the species had me believe that I should see the stilt at least occasionally.

The Killdeer above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

But that was not the case as the Black-necked Stilt remained an elusive creature with it a member of the family Recurvirostridae which includes the American Avocet.

In my three plus years of Florida wildlife observation, I have only once seen the American Avocet with it in the surf at Lovers Key State Park in early May 2008.

The Anhinga above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

As has been my experience, I consider Recurvirostridae extremely rare relative to other shorebirds in my area of southwest Florida.

On the morning of my attempt to see the Black-necked Stilt for the first time, it was with great fortune that Tom Obrock drove through the Exit 131 Rest Stop off I-75 as he was headed home from work while continuing his search for migratory species and specifically "lifers."

The Little Blue Heron above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

As we chatted about photography and our recent observations, it became clear he found me very misguided as to where I thought I might observe the stilts and gave me more specific detail of his observations of the species.

Tom also told me that he needed some shut eye before meeting up with the Birdpatrol at Bunche Beach later in the day.

The Mottled Duck above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

I think we are both in agreement that Harns Marsh Preserve needs another access point to negate what I certainly feel is an extraordinarily long walk around its perimeter.

Since I had to work very early in the morning the following day, I regrettably couldn't attend the Birdpatrol event.

The Cattle Egret above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

I chose to continue my attempt to observe the Black-necked Stilt where Tom had told me he had observed it in the recent past.

Approaching my third hour of observation at the Rest Stop site, I was literally in my car with the engine running already having given up when a few of the stilts flew into view.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

It was infuriating to me that I missed flight shots of the incoming Black-necked Stilt as I had been planted at the ready with the camera for such an extended period of time.

Three Black-necked Stilts were observed to fly into the flooded (due to seasonal rains) undeveloped commercial property from the south at the tree line immediately east of the Rest Stop.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

David Sibley's Guide to Bird Life and Behavior indicates that the avocets and stilts, classified as shorebirds, will frequent fresh water environments.

The field had a water depth of between four and 12 inches of water over an area I would guess at ten acres which allows for favorable, though fleeting, ecosystems.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

An unusual anatomical detail of Recurvirostridae shorebirds is that they have partial webbing between the three primary toes in the avocet while the stilt has webbing between the middle and inner toe.

While I was mobile in my observation of the stilts, with an effort to have the birds with the sun behind me, a neighbor of the property stopped to tell me that the water level seemed to be at an ideal depth as the birds might not otherwise be seen.

The Black-necked Stilt with Greater Yellowlegs above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

The gentleman also noted that he was pleased that others cared about what we could behold before us.

In my next two hours of observation of the Black-necked Stilt, there were a total of four of the species seen.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

While I originally thought there was another group of six stilts, a review of my photographs taken proved to show that the birds I thought were stilts were actually Greater Yellowlegs.

I had observed the yellowlegs into the sun and was only able to photograph them somewhat successfully using a very high exposure bias to avoid the capture of the birds completely in silhouette.

The Greater Yellowlegs above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

While there were only three Black-necked Stilts initially seen together, the fourth bird would ultimately make its way onto the scene from a direction I failed to observe.

With my little understanding of the Black-necked Stilt species, I speculate that the group of four included two juveniles.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

The juveniles might easily be mistaken for adult females on the ground as they are very similar in appearance.

When the four birds were captured in flight together, it's seemingly obvious that there were two juveniles as their size appears significantly smaller than the adults.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

Of the four birds in tandem, I believe the adult female to be the laggard.

Wildlife species I consider notably observed near the company of the Black-necked Stilt included Greater Yellowlegs, Glossy Ibis, Little Blue Heron with 1st year juvenile, Killdeer, Mottled Duck, Anhinga, Great Egret, Cattle Egret, and Red-shouldered Hawk.

The Black-necked Stilt above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

This retreat for the Black-necked Stilt at the Rest Stop will be further determined by the unpredictable rains this season, the dry season ahead, and future development.

Black-necked Stilts are thought to migrate to and from Argentina at the southern end of their range.

The visitor of the wildlife venue above was photographed at Exit 131 Rest Stop, Interstate I-75, Fort Myers, Florida USA in July 2010.

The most spectacular sunsets I've observed in my life, regrettably without an ability to photograph them, were observed this past week.

1 comment: