Friday, September 3, 2010

Babcock/ Webb WMA II

Heavy rains, particularly the day before my last wildlife trip of August 2010, were evident at Babcock/ Webb Wildlife Management Area this week.

The Lubber Grasshopper above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

Water levels were much higher throughout the WMA than observed during my first visit nearly two weeks earlier.

It was interesting to note that the groundwater was flowing north as seen at Tram Grade.

The interpretive sign above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

This is the opposite of conditions near Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in east Naples where the water "sheets" to the south.

I do not advise driving through any large puddles at Babcock/ Webb WMA if you encounter them as they may be much deeper than they appear.

The White-tailed Deer above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

I was able to drive through one that was quite unnerving, which led to my first sighting of Florida "cracker" cattle.

With thought of potential harm to the car's engine more so than I may have already done, I was very quickly compelled to turn back before the engine was very hot again.

The Red-cockaded Woodpecker above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

This was successfully done without my giving thought to taking pictures of the cattle and the egrets in their company.

Before returning to the Red-cockaded Woodpecker colony on Oilwell Grade, which I had earlier passed in darkness as the sun was still 30 minutes from rising, I traveled Tram Grade to its western end that terminates at Jones Loop Road.

The scene above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

It needs to be remembered that the WMA needs to be exited the same way you entered as other potential egresses are gated.

I was fortunate to observe White-tailed Deer on this visit which I had not seen on my initial trip.

The Red-cockaded Woodpecker above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

A pair of deer were seen on Tram Grade to the east of Oilwell Grade and a solitary deer was seen on the same road to the west of Oilwell Grade.

As my visit to Babcock/ Webb WMA was with the intent to photograph birds, I was rewarded at the Red-cockaded Woodpecker colony on Oilwell Grade south of Tram Grade with my first sighting of Eastern Bluebird which was my 130th species of bird documented through photography in Florida.

The White-tailed Deer above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

The Red-cockaded Woodpeckers were active and a treat to observe as they worked the bark of the pine trees in search of insects and grubs.

My experience has been that the endangered Red-cockaded Woodpecker can be seen readily up to several hours after sunrise.

The White-tailed Deer above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

A thorough review of images taken of the Red-cockaded Woodpecker (note the red feathers on the side of its head) revealed evidence of a juvenile that had been banded.

An overflight of a large flock of Cattle Egret at this spot was a pleasant surprise as well.

The Red-cockaded Woodpecker above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

There was a more significant breeze from the east on my second visit to the WMA which allowed for the extremely soothing and unique natural sound created by long needled pine trees.

The Red-bellied Woodpecker was again observed in the company of the Red-cockaded Woodpecker although the Northern Flicker and Eastern Meadowlark were not seen as had been previously.

The Cattle Egret above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

I believe I saw the Eastern Towhee again very briefly, but was unable to document the bird as I had the lens set on manual focus when I panned to the bird, and couldn't focus quickly enough before it disappeared from view.

Pine Warblers were in abundance considering the time of year as I made my first visual observation of Northern Bobwhite on the southern road accessing Crooked Lake.

The Eastern Bluebird above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

I could hear Sandhill Cranes to the SSW, though I've yet to see them within the WMA as of this writing.

I was able to observe and photograph a Great Crested Flycatcher for the first time in nearly three years.

The Eastern Bluebird above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

Common Ground Doves were abundant as well with views of Great Egrets in the flatwoods.

I made an attempt to drive to the end of Webb Lake Road where it at one point was flooded as were most of the picnic shelters along the road.

The Great Crested Flycatcher above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

After driving halfway through the obstacle, I chickened out in continuing on with thought of my earlier experience that morning and chose to back up.

A Great Egret and beautiful Tricolored Heron were seen on Webb Lake Road before heading home with thought of a return visit to this place.

The Red-cockaded Woodpecker above was photographed at Babcock/ Webb WMA in August 2010.

Oilwell Grade north of Tram Grade remains to be explored on another visit.

The current minimum admittance fee for this venue is $6.00 paid at the Tucker Grade entry station.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bob,
    Nice shots of the red-cockaded woodpecker. As for the towhees, they are very abundant but can be hard to spot. Learn there calls and you will find several to photograph.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete