Friday, October 22, 2010

First Sighting

While approaching my fourth year in observing and photographing birds, I realize what a monumental task that remains before me having set a goal to document all the birds that either live in or migrate through the state of Florida.

The Eastern Phoebe above was photographed at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in October 2010.

As an amateur participant in the popular pastime of birding, is is quite exhilarating to encounter a species not seen before.

Such was the case this past week exploring Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve.

The Red-shouldered Hawk above was photographed at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in October 2010.

I had arrived at Wood Duck Pond (where I've yet to see a Wood Duck) and patiently waited with a view over the shallow water with a good view of a low lying branch which I always thought would favor a bird to perch upon.

Sure enough, a first sighting of Eastern Phoebe very accommodatingly landed on the branch which allowed for a single photograph of the bird before it disappeared from view.

The Green Heron above was photographed at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in October 2010.

I also devoted a lot of time at Otter Pond observing a small family of Green Heron with one of the birds giving me the impression that it wanted to regurgitate a meal, though it never did.

It was at this spot that I had eye candy views of Belted Kingfisher which were as close as five feet to the observation deck.

The Eastern Phoebe above was photographed at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in October 2010.

With little other action happening at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve on the morning of my visit, it was great to meet the director of the world's largest sea cave, Rick Reece, and his dad, Dick Reece.

While Rick confirmed my first sighting as Eastern Phoebe on his iphone, I couldn't help but notice the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Volunteer baseball cap Dick was wearing.

The feral pig above was photographed at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in October 2010.

Dick was a great storyteller and it was unfortunate that he and his son were pressed for time and needed to move on.

I wasn't aware of the destructive and dangerous nature of wild pigs in the United States until investigating the National Geographic story that may be read here.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I can't even imagine encountering a wild pig...

    ReplyDelete