Sunday, December 25, 2011

High Tide At Bunche Beach: West Channel

I have written of my wildlife experiences at Bunche Beach Preserve many times and occasionally observe the unexpected there.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

This beach venue just east of the Sanibel Lighthouse bordering San Carlos Bay and north of Fort Myers Beach has become my favorite location to observe shore and wading birds in the area.

Many observations at Bunche have offered lifetime memories.

The scene above above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

It was perhaps a year before visiting this venue after told about it for the first time.

Such was the case with my first visit to the inland Harns March Preserve in Lehigh Acres.

The shorebirds above were photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I'm quite sure I won't be able to express my gratis to Tony Lau when I finally make a visit to Myakka River State Park (approaching three or four years since he told me of his trips to the Park) with images taken there and presented by blogger Julie G earlier this month.

Tony's photography has impressed me immensely as he hones his skills with the craft successfully in the Chicago area.

The Ring-billed Gull above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I am still very much a fan of a very low tide at Bunche which allows one to walk great distances on the flats of the bay.

Under those circumstances the birds will be very dispersed though the likelihood of an unexpected visitor is perhaps more probable without disturbance from the casual visitor walking the beach.

The Laughing Gull above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

From a photography standpoint there is what may be considered a sweet spot where the birds are all there but not at an immeasurable distance from you.

The visit to the Preserve this week was at a tide higher than I believe I have observed at Bunche before.

The Marbled Godwit above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

The tide was still rising and would peak at +2.1 feet just before my departure after sunset.

With nearly two miles of beach front to walk at Bunche, I'm not sure why someone would choose to walk into the bay directly through a flock of birds resting which was the case this day.

The Sandwich Tern above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

At an earlier time I had made a few trips to the Preserve without checking the tide tables and considered the water too high for observation and failed to walk beyond the parking area.

I've since learned better and was sure that the birds would congregate near the west channel with the flats covered by the Gulf waters.

The Laughing Gull above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

After arriving close to the west channel, the birds were in a number fewer than a hundred along a finger spit perpendicular to the beach.

The species seen were respectable considering the limited real estate available to them.

The Marbled Godwit above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

If you're not up to speed with tide tables, they may be viewed here with Matanzas Pass my location of choice for the area.

The waves were of concern for comfort immediately upon entering the water of the bay.

The Royal Tern above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

They were not forgiving lapping at my back, rolling in from the southwest, with the wind unusually westerly forcing the birds to land toward me in very favorable light with the setting sun in front of them.

The next couple of hours became uncomfortably cold with the ambient temperature still in the 70's while losing my core temperature fast due to the cooler water conditions.

The Ring-billed Gull above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I made a few moves from my initial observation point with an attempt to improve my angle on the birds as I learned their flight pattern as they arrived with greater frequency as the sun began to set.

Most people passing by were respectful of the birds with it evident the birds have become conditioned to pedestrians at close range.

The Sandwich Tern above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

After getting a report from Tom Obrock with his observation of Common Loon and Horned Grebe at Bunche after my initial trip to Bunche this week, my original plans to make a long overdue visit to Harns Marsh Preserve this week as well were postponed.

Investigating wetsuits that I thought would keep me more comfortable in the water led to a visit to Sports Authority on Six Mile Cypress Parkway to get one.

The Royal Tern banded on its right leg above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

The level of customer service at this retailer was excellent throughout while directly assisted by Richard Short who expressed an interest in wildlife photography.

From there I again arrived at Bunche Beach while finally remembering to remove the extender from the camera with thought of Frank Constantin whom has told me of images he has failed to capture because of the accessory.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I arrived at the beach at about 12:30 and missed the grebe and loon in the bay throughout my stay after sunset.

The tide was favorable upon my arrival with surprisingly few birds present leading me to believe that they had been disturbed by more people at the beach this time of year.

The scene above above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

The wind direction had shifted easterly compared to my previous visit which would make flight photography much more challenging late in the day.

Whether natural or not, each visit to Bunche Beach Preserve offers a unique experience with this day no exception.

The Ring-billed Gull above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

Ring-billed Gull have become commonly seen in much greater numbers than Laughing Gulls.

Upwards of five dozen birds including skimmers, godwits and peeps were directly in front of me when visitors to the Preserve walked the shoreline with an unleashed dog which was in the mood to play with the birds.

The scene above above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

The birds obviously considered the dog a threat and took flight with very few of them I was observing to return.

The visitor to the Preserve in the image directly above had asked me if I had seen Bald Eagles which I had not though by her tone she was more fortunate.

The Black-bellied Plover above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

Dogs are not permitted at Bunche Beach Preserve and the owner obviously missed the sign indicating the restriction.

When advised of the rule by another visitor, the dog owner became extremely combative.

The Western Sandpiper above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

Osprey were present in very good numbers that I normally observe at Lovers Key State Park.

I continued to fail to capture one of the Osprey's many dives for prey successfully which I consider a great challenge.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

Black Skimmers were abundant on both visits with it always a challenge to get a good photograph of them as well.

The skimmers interestingly displace most other bird species loafing as the skimmer makes repeated landings and takeoffs before they settle down on occasion.

The Black Skimmer above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I had the good fortune of meeting Mike Kentz at the Preserve visiting from New York City.

He noted that he had seen American Avocet earlier in the day and told of a Bald Eagle seen that caused an Osprey to drop its prey at the Preserve which he showed me in his camera's monitor.

The Reddish Egret above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

Mike told me that he had been a professional photographer for 30 plus years before digital photography ruined the profession.

He now makes a living as a residential contractor I believe he told me.

The scene above above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

In the last light of the day a pair of Piping Plover stood their ground and were occasionally mobile in their attempt to capture flies that were only observed when the birds went after them.

Considering the less than favorable conditions, the observations at Bunche this week were very rewarding.

The Piping Plover above was photographed at Bunche Beach Preserve in December 2011.

I found the wetsuit a little uncomfortable for mobility and will be cutting the sleeves at the shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment