Friday, September 11, 2009

Harns Marsh Revisited

While it's been a goal of mine for a long while to visit the east section of the Great Florida Birding Trail, I chose at the last minute this past week to postpone that journey and make my third trip to Harns Marsh Preserve within the south portion of the trail.

The Tricolored Heron above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

I have no regrets with that decision at all as Harns Marsh Preserve is proving itself to be much more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. My perception of what the preserve would look like was for some reason diminished through words that were told to me describing it long before my first visit.

The preserve is 578 acres in size and quite daunting from the perspective that we are allowed to explore it on foot alone. Particularly so in the heat of a Florida summer which will require a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water.

The Snail Kite above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

It was on this latest visit to Harns Marsh that I waded north in the water after I concluded it was safe from alligators on my previous two visits. I settled down and had an experience that required the patience required for birding observation.

Directly in front of me were a pair of Tricolored Herons. One was much more comfortable with my presence than the other. After about a half hour of observation of them, the Limpkin appeared from across the tall marsh grass behind the herons. To the right, at a much greater distance, was a Snowy Egret, a Little Blue Heron, and a White Ibis. Slightly to my left at about an equal distance to the trio, I caught a glimpse of the Glossy Ibis which I had observed seemingly in the same exact location on my previous visit.

The Rock Dove above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

I continued my observations from this spot for the next ninety minutes or so. The Snail Kite was present as it's been on all three of my visits to the preserve. It was observed in flight for the most part with sightings of the species perched in two trees as well at too great a distance to photograph them.

The Limpkin made its calls for virtually the entire time I was attempting to get a shot of it. This Limpkin's voice was significantly diminutive to that which I've heard before from another individual of the species at a much greater distance at the preserve.

The Tricolored Heron above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

I have been attempting to pay much closer attention to the sounds the birds make whenever they're accommodating. Even after my most recent study, I would be challenged by distinguishing between the guttural calls of the Tricolored Heron and Great Egret. It was a rare treat to hear them at all having never experienced their calls at the Gulf of Mexico beaches.

From the spot I was attempting to photograph the Limpkin, I missed a great image of the Snail Kite as it snatched a snail from the water less than 200 feet to my left, but the event happened too quickly for me to react as the kite came into the scene from slightly behind me. After the bird got its quarry, it flew north.

The Red-shouldered Hawk above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

I could see a Snail Kite several hundred yards to my left flying over the larger body of open water of the marsh. The Black Vultures were prolific, but the Turkey Vultures were seemingly absent from my perspective.

The extremely stealthy Great Egret was close enough and worthy of long study, and after doing so, I failed to capture it making a catch on this trip. I attempted to get a little closer to it by wading further into the water, but as I approached an area I expected the water to get shallower ahead of a large mass of vegetation, the water actually got deeper and became too risky to continue further with the photo gear.

The Snail Kite above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

The highlights of the trip were flyovers of four Glossy Ibis and at least 11 Rock Doves. I need to contact Cathy Olson, official observer of Harns Marsh, to inquire if the doves are a newly documented sighting at the preserve. I've found the species to be extremely elusive. Especially in flight in a larger flock.

The Osprey was present as well on this trip as it was on my preceding one. I reflect on my disappointment not to have seen it on my first trip to the venue a mere two weeks earlier. As with all species hoped to be seen, a desired presence should be expected to be hit and miss.

The Red-shouldered Hawk above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

I can't help but mention here some advice written by Artie Morris in his blog where he advises, I'm sure solely for photographic aesthetics, not to photograph birds in flight once they go by you. I've concluded that I would like you to take at least a single shot of your bird(s) at a greater distance for documentation. Once my Rock Doves were overhead, I gave up on photographing them, thinking of Artie's advice, and failed to get an assured count of their numbers once they were all likely to be in the frame.

The photograph of the Limpkin would have been easy if I simply chose to stand up with the gear to improve the view over the grass, but decided to wait for the bird to make its way into the clear which it never did. This particular bird was extremely shy. A close up shot of this species and travel of the Great Florida Birding Trail is a patient goal of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment