Friday, October 30, 2009

Fall 2009 Florida Birding Migration Action I

In the days ahead, I hope to make the best of Florida birding. An opportunity for some R&R and to see what may be at the tail end of the height of the 2009 Fall migration action along the Great Florida Birding Trail.

The Reddish Egret above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in November 2008.

A last minute look at the weather forecast has me realize that I need to reverse my planned itinerary to avoid the precipitation from a storm front working its way toward the Eastern seaboard of the United States.

I realize that some of the best birding is involved in the storm fronts, but I'm unsure of how to take best advantage of them. I would prefer to stay within dry conditions as best I can.

The Short-billed Dowitcher above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in November 2009.

Perhaps at some point in the future I will have the opportunity to make very good study of this phenomenon.

In the meantime, it will be through some basic understanding of what I've experienced thus far, that further enjoyment of the wildlife around us that often goes unnoticed by most will be better understood and appreciated.

The Little Blue Heron above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in November 2008.

My journey into the West Region of the birding trail in early 2009, beyond the comforts of home, has me recall a layover I made at a hotel which I ended up staying at due to the accommodation made in the reduction in the price of the room by inquiring of the hotel's affiliation with the Great Florida Birding Trail.

I don't think there actually is one with that particular chain, but there was a significant reduction in the price of the room when I made the inquiry. This approach will be used again when in need of rest not knowing where I'll be at the end of a day.

The Semipalmated Plover above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in November 2008.

I will be making my first use of a recently acquired GPS assistant Garmin nüvi. This brand was recommended to me by Tim Rucci, while I chose to purchase a model with minimal features that this manufacturer currently offers.

My hope is that this device will be extremely useful while traveling a very large area with the greater potential to otherwise get lost and waste valuable observation time.

The Green Heron above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in November 2008.

I was disappointed that the device was not able to search my destination of a Florida State Park, admittedly far from my starting point.

After getting better acclimated with how the device works, it seems that once I get within a closer range of the chosen city, I will have the opportunity to select a park of interest as investigated through the "camera" icon on the monitor.

My expectation is to have observations made in the days ahead weighted more heavily toward coastal observations than those further inland.

In any event, I expect to have an exciting and memorable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment