Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bunche Beach Revisited

Does lightning have a smell? I can't say I know the answer. The accompanying rain certainly can. It is one of my favorite aromas.

That unique fragrance caused by water interacting with mold, which I read as the cause somewhere, is sometimes experienced in advance of your getting wet if you're lucky.

The White Ibis above was photographed at Harns Marsh Preserve in September 2009.

A return visit to Bunche Beach Preserve was enjoyable as usual while the smell of of rain was absent. The skies have been predominantly overcast this summer in southwest Florida. Not advantageous for wildlife photography outdoors for sure, but I recall wildlife photographer Arthur Morris stating that he likes such conditions at times.

I had arrived at the preserve a little earlier in the afternoon than has been my opportunity in the past. It was a temptation I couldn't resist as the bird action has been rewarding this summer.

The White Ibis above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in August 2009.

I will only visit the preserve at or near low tide when the birds are in greater numbers feeding in the shallows. I passed a photographer on my walk along the beach to the west channel whom I told should return at the more opportune time for observing the wildlife with low tide only merely hours away. Particularly to hopefully see the Black-crowned Night-Heron that I had observed on my last visit to the preserve.

There was evidently a storm brewing to the north which gave no evidence of movement which I thought would spare an interruption of my observations at the beach. I was wrong.

The White Ibis above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in August 2009.

Less than an hour after arriving and making the walk past the west channel, the lightning was impressive. Within minutes of my first sighting of it, the lightning was too close for comfort. Within 500 feet would be my guess.

Not a good time to be in the water. The third strike was the decisive one to make the half mile retreat to the car when the nearly instantaneous thunder had every bird in the area take flight with the exception of a Reddish Egret that chose to stand its ground.

The Snowy Egret above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in August 2009.

Once in the confines of the car, I held my ground and waited things out for about 45 minutes when it appeared the worst was over and I trekked back to my favored place at the preserve.

Virtually all of the small shore birds that were in greater numbers than I had seen before at the preserve, were gone. The Reddish Egret was still exactly where I had left him, but then in the company of a greater number of White Ibis than I had seen before anywhere. There were a few Snowy Egrets in the group as well.

The moon above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in August 2009.

The most memorable events of the day included the flight of the 74 Ibis I had counted in my immediate vicinity, with others beyond, that took flight instantaneously when a Great Blue Heron apparently walked a little too close to them. And most curiously, the appearance of three Black Skimmers were seen at what seemed the exact moment the sun had set. They strafed me on several occasions obviously under lighting conditions uncooperative for capturing more wildlife images.

The photographer I had seen earlier returned at my suggestion, but he was not prepared to get in the water as I only observed him from a great distance while he was able to photograph at very close range what appeared to be a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron on the beach. I'm sure he considered the return to the preserve worthwhile. The BKNH remained absent on this day.

The Willet above was photographed at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve in August 2009.

On the final walk back to the parking area, I briefly observed a few humans in near darkness as annoying insects including sand gnats and mosquitos were abundant. The pests were extremely voracious as the air was very still and had me flee the area quicker than I would have liked.

At most other times of year, there is at least a strong breeze that would keep such a nuisance at bay at this venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment