Friday, November 6, 2009

1700 Miles

It was an attempt of mine, with the opportunity, to observe migratory action of birds that may be making their way through Florida these past few days in the late 2009 migration period.

The Crested Caracara above was photographed at the Prairie Bird Loops within the Great Florida Birding Trail in November 2009.

While I was able to travel through two new regions (the East and Panhandle) along the Great Florida Birding Trail, I was only able to add a handful of new species of bird to my wildlife lexicon that I had not seen before.

My 1700 mile journey without doubt went by much too quickly.

The Common Gallinule juvenile above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

I managed to travel through 12 clusters of the trail and visit 31 new venues within them.

Some were more rewarding than others for the wildlife seen.

The Forster's Tern above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

Without question, the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge offered the most exciting viewing along Black Point Wildlife Drive.

I spent half a day there while attempting to photograph a greater plethora of the larger wading birds than I have seen anywhere else.

The Dunlin with Willet and Black-bellied Plover above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

I had hoped for the best weather and light conditions at this time, but was dealing with overcast conditions all morning. I was also shooting into the brightest light for the most part.

It was an opportunity to photograph under conditions I would normally avoid.

The Tricolored Heron above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

The greatest diversity of wildlife was seen at this venue, including an alligator seen that appeared no less than 12 feet.

In its vicinity, I spent a lot of time observing moorhens including what appeared a solitary juvenile which seem accustomed to living within the close proximity of such a predator as I've also observed in the Everglades area.

The Common Gallinule above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

In my opinion, the best wildlife observations can unquestionably be had at virtually any of the venues closer to home within the Southwest portion of Florida.

I can say for sure, based on my experience, that wildlife is prolific within the South Florida Birding Trail virtually at any time of the year to a greater degree than the observations I've made outside of it.

The Roseate Spoonbill above was photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Black Point Wildlife Drive) in November 2009.

Certain venues seem to accommodate specific species of concern or interest. These creatures will be found around areas of water that provide them sustenance.

The drive home along I-10 was extraordinary in the view I had of the area of Torreya State Park. The light was perfect with the vista of the trees along the Apalachicola River.

The Belted Kingfisher above was photographed at Big Lagoon State Park in November 2009.

It was on my third trip through the area along I-10 that I had the opportunity to appreciate the magic this Florida state park has to offer.

I was very tempted to make an immediate u-turn, but decided to make a return trip there in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment